Whiplash

What was the cause of your whiplash and how was it treated? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: patsy, 55-64 Female Published: August 26

I was at work putting a binder on a file cabinet about 6 feet up as I leaned over the file binder fell off and hit the back of my neck and head. I was checked by physicians assistant given toradol and muscle relaxers. I was also on gabapetin and xanax. I really had bad headaches from the back of my head but until I was terminated and went off muscle relaxers and gabapentin i really did not know what trouble I was still in it has been over a year but I think with all of the pain relievers and given toradol shots as needed I think I have a serious problem. Chronic headaches nausea neck soreness top of spine swelling.

Comment from: Katrina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I was in a car accident with my mother and children on vacation. My mother rear ended someone. We were going 40 mph and the other person had just stopped and slammed on the brakes. My shoulder and neck hurt and all fingers on one side were hurt. They X-rayed my shoulder and I had to go to a nurse to have her read my chart. They were trying to discharge me without saying anything and the nurse could not find my chart. My upper back aches and left shoulder has aches and sharp pain.

Comment from: Charles, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

I was injured at work. Apart from a broken arm, dislocated shoulder, torn supraspinatus, shock, and a deep laceration above my left eye, I also suffer from swelling around my neck. Now I live with chronic pain. I have not been able to work in three years. When the pain is at its worst, it feels like a seven or eight on a pain scale of one to 10. The pain is decreased when I lie down. I'm taking painkillers, but the effect is minimal.

Car accident. Was hit on the passenger side.

Comment from: kjc, 65-74 Female Published: February 06

I was in a car accident 8 months ago. At first there was no pain. By the second day I couldn't move my head to the right. Pain was in my neck, shoulder and up the back of my head. I have seen a chiropractor and the treatment hurt worse. Went to a doctor and they sent me to therapy. Still the pain was unbearable. I had a CT scan and MRI. It came back negative. The pain is still there and I am still unable to move my neck to the right some times

Comment from: Cally, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I was in a car crash. The symptoms did not appear until the following day.

Comment from: skippack, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was in a car accident in March. I was stopped on an expressway when I was rear-ended and then pushed into the vehicle in front of me. The only pain I felt at the time of the accident was elbow pain. As this happened on a Saturday, I went to my family doc on Monday who suspected whiplash. I went to a chiropractor which only made me feel worse. I have neck pain and back pain especially if I am upright for more than 2 hours. My right arm gets weak and my right hand shakes. As I am right-handed, it makes doing things very difficult. I had an MRI which showed 2 bulging discs in my neck. Doc prescribed steroids. I start physical therapy this Friday. I was told it was take at least 4 weeks before any improvement. If there is none after that time, then I would probably need injections in my neck...something I am not looking forward to. I have never had this type of injury and really do not know what to expect.

Comment from: Rockette, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

Over 2 years ago I was involved in an accident where my neck was whipped from the right side to the left. I went to the chiropractor with neck pain and numbness in the right side of the face. This injury developed into facial nerve damage, 5th nerve damage and cervical facet syndrome. I have constant numbness in the right side behind the ear that goes to the top of the head. I have stiffness and pain in the neck when I try to move it forward or back. I have had torticollis and neck spasms. The MRI showed 3 mild bulging discs. I have had 5 sessions of medical branch blocks 4 per session in C 3, 4, 5, 6. Next step is radiofrequency. I have seen 2 chiropractors. I've been through physical therapy and I am currently taking 800 mg of gabapentin per day. I also have the 5th cranial nerve bumping up against the 7th cranial nerve. I had no prior history of neck pain, was perfectly mobile and fine. Now, after this cervical sprain, I am in pain every day. After seeing the chiropractor for the first 4 months, he helped the neck pain but the numbness behind the rear persisted. The numbness continued to get worse and then BAM the neck pain was back in the worst way.

Comment from: seeing, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

I never thought whiplash would show up way after a wreck. We were hit from behind on a motor cycle knocked forward about 15 feet. The motor landed on my right leg. I was sore but X-rays a couple of weeks or so later showed bone spurs. Doctor asked if I was in pain. I said not at that time and he just shook his head. I noticed my neck being sore some after that but thought maybe I slept wrong. In time it got worse and in about a year I was having to ice my neck if I did any work over my head or pulled with my shoulder muscles. Today, I'm still having problems with my neck.

Comment from: twinkie22, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

My whiplash was due to a car accident. I went to the hospital by ambulance. They did a CT scan prescribed me Motrin, Tylenol with codeine and followed up with my doctor a few days later. I am still being treated, the accident happened one week ago. I need to follow up with my doctor once a week. I have never experienced this before, and it is painful. I drive a school bus for a living, and don't know when I'll be able to go back to work. It is not something to kid around with.

Comment from: Ouch, 35-44 Female Published: February 07

I was literally smacked in the back of the head by a wave while bush camping in Tasmania. It hurt but I didn't think much about it until the pain grew and continued until I couldn't think of much else. Three weeks later I was diagnosed with whiplash after a cat scan ruled out skeletal damage. I have just been advised to go about things normally. Let me tell, I wish I could. Previously my only experience with whiplash was seeing people in and out of court wearing braces. I was dubious but now... not so much.

I was turning a corner and my left front tire blew out. I overcompensated, my SUV rolled and landed on the passenger side in a ditch. I immediately felt neck pain. After the jaws of life extracted me from the vehicle I was placed in a cervical collar and placed on a stretcher and taken to the ER. After a quick assessment that included history, palpation and neck movements I was given ibuprofen. I was then taken to have a cervical X-ray. I was then sent home. Follow up with my primary physician two days later resulted in acetaminophen with codeine and Flexeril prescriptions. I have also seen a chiropractor. Two months later I still have neck pain, muscle spasms, and a shooting pain that radiates along my spine to between my scapulae.

Comment from: gc79, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

Whiplash was caused when I fell backwards hitting the back of head against corner of brick ledge.

Comment from: joanne77, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I have severe whiplash and inflamed muscles in shoulder back and neck. I was in a motor vehicle accident. Impact was on my side of the vehicle. I was the driver. Pains were in my neck shoulder, and down my arm. When I went to ER, I had a neck brace on and I was strapped to a board. They removed all the pieces without x-rays, and put me on painkillers. Two days later, pains were so bad and the medicine wasn't working. The pain was going further on my body back shoulder and arms. I went back to ER where they did X-rays and MRI as well. Now, I'm on Tylenol III and I'm still in so much pain.

Comment from: HRPotter, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

My whiplash was caused by an accidental fall at home.I am taking oral Methocarbamol.

Comment from: Erika, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I was diagnosed with whiplash after popping my neck. After popping my neck, I immediately was "attacked" by a migraine and horrible pain in my neck. Following the migraine came the nausea and vomiting. The next day I had short bouts of tinnitus and tingling in my face with the continuation of the neck pain and now bruising. I was diagnosed the second with whiplash and was prescribed a soft c-collar to assist with my neck stiffness and muscle relaxer and pain medication.

Comment from: Theresa H, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

My horse spun around rapidly and I flew off onto the ground. Suffered fractured ribs, clavicle, fingers but no one even thought of possible whiplash. I complained on 2 separate occasions about my shoulder pain; given Lidoderm patches and that was that. Today I finally went to a chiropractor and he explained with clarity the whiplash I had to have suffered. Now I know why the excruciating pain. Right now the only treatment has been electrical stimulation and cold compresses on the neck. Have to schedule an MRI and go from there.

Comment from: Jenrose24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I fell forward while snowboarding and my head whipped onto the ground I fell fast enough that I didn't have time to place my hands in front of me. My stomach hit first but my neck took the most of the collision. Thankfully I was wearing a helmet. This is the fourth time I've had whiplash, if I hadn't have had it in the past I would have gone to the doctors by now. My neck is extremely stiff. I will be resting as much as possible over the next week and using a hot tub and heating pad to help slowly stretch my neck back to normal. And some massage therapy as well.

Comment from: ME!!!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I was in a car wreck 3 months ago. I was hit from behind at 60mph and knocked into another vehicle. I am still having a lot of pain in my neck, back, clavicle, hips, shoulders, and headaches, tinnitus, pain and numbness in right arm/hand. I have been to several doctors and they offer no help for symptoms. They say I'm not a candidate for surgery. Drugs just knock me out. So I'm either in pain or asleep. Physical therapy made symptoms worse. Chiropractor helps a little. The frustration of constant pain and no relief at a functional level and the disbelief and lack of support from anyone is making me depressed, angry and cry a lot. This seems never-ending.

Medically reviewed by Aimee V. HachigianGould, MD; American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery

KnowYourBack.org. Whiplash and Whiplash Associated Disorder (WAS).

Hoffman JR, Wolfson AB, Todd K, Mower WR. Selective cervical spine radiography in blunt trauma: methodology of the National Emergency X-Radiography Utilization Study (NEXUS). Ann Emerg Med. 1998 Oct;32(4):461-9. PubMed PMID: 9774931.