Whiplash

Please describe the symptoms related to your whiplash? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Marie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I'm not sure that I had whiplash. I was in a car accident. The other car hit the passenger side of my car coming out from a stop light. When the car hit, my head fell to my left shoulder like a wet noodle. I got off the road and slowly pushed my head upright and held it there with my hand until I got to the hospital. The doctor said there was nothing wrong so I don't know what happened.

Comment from: bpilk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I was a passenger in a recreational jeep. We were riding across a pond dam and we came to a sudden stop (rode caved in), and my head hit the windshield so hard it cracked. I jumped out of the jeep screaming. I thought I was going to die. My husband assessed me and there was no bleeding, etc. We joked about my head being the only thing that broke that windshield. I didn't hurt from the whiplash until a few days later. I had neck, shoulder, and head pain with dizziness. It is now a week later and I am no better. I am making an appointment next week.

Comment from: loveslibraries, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

It started with neck and shoulder pain. I wasn't able to turn my neck to one side very well. I started carrying one shoulder higher than the other. 15 years later, I had muscle spasms and back pain across the blades. A dowager's hump near the injury site. 15 years later, shooting nerve pains occurred during some wrist and hand use. My hands tingled a lot. Chronic blue bruises across the back. Trouble twisting to one side. My arms rotated forward like an ape, chronic pain interfering with sleep. Adhesions, contusions, a rotation problem, referred nerve pain, a couple incidences with non-temperature related peripheral vascular dilation, a couple years of migraines, alcoholism to numb the pain.

I am a 20 year old girl. While I was on vacation in TN I got into a very serious Go-Kart crash on the track on Aug 12, 2011. I was in severe pain from the top of my head all the way down my spine to my tail bone. The ride operators called 9-1-1 to get an ambulance. I was rushed to ER. The doctors did 32 x-rays of my head neck and back which showed a severe whiplash and strained and inflamed muscles from the top of my skull to my tailbone. The doctors sent me home on pain meds to help me get some relief.

Comment from: Cats84, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I was hit in the back end of my car while I was at a stop sign. I was starting to feel some soreness but when I woke up this morning my neck is really sore and so are my shoulders.

Comment from: Kandys81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

Stiff neck, shoulders and back.

Comment from: dabneya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I was in a car accident almost a month ago but didn't even take in to consideration the possibility of whiplash. A couple of days after the accident my left shoulder and the left side of my neck were tender but felt similar to a pulled muscle in my shoulder. Well the pain in my neck is significantly worse and the pain radiates down my left arm. Now a month later I'm getting no sleep due to the pain and inability to find relief no matter how I reposition my neck and shoulders.

Comment from: DaveM2, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 21

I have whiplash due to an auto accident. I was rear-ended at about 60 mph. My car ended up on the other side of the street shoulder pointed in the other direction. I refused to be taken by ambulance. The following early morning, I felt neck pain and went to emergency room. CT scans revealed ligament strain/tear in region of lower neck/spine. They also found two fractures in my maxilla/facial bone above mouth.

Comment from: gruszynd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

With whiplash, I had neck, arm, and shoulder pain and a migraine.

Comment from: ger66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I was in a severe car accident two months ago (9/30/11) and have severe whiplash. Physical therapy has not helped and was told by my neurologist to stop that. I have pain from my neck all the way down my spine and numbness in my hands and feet. I have weakness in my arms and legs and they hurt so bad. The weakness gets so bad that I have a hard time using my hands and my legs because they get very weak to the point that I can hardly walk and they ache to they point that I can hardly stand it. The neurologist thought there were herniated discs but there aren't. At least I could have had surgery and gotten relief. He says this pain could go on for a long time as this could take a while to heal. He says this is not good as I know because I am suffering every day all day long and nothing helps!

Comment from: Kamaia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

Firstly I did not know I had whiplash until diagnosed by a trained chiropractor. Symptoms for me were lack of concentration, lack of sleep, and mood swings in conjunction with a sore neck (did not feel muscular and a massage would not have treated it). Those were an indication of the whiplash as such. I would highly recommend a chiropractor as opposed to taking medication or other ways. It was all cleared up in one session.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

With my whiplash, I had pain and soreness at the base of my skull, and down my spine too, below my shoulder blades.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

With whiplash, I have a headache, neck pain, blurry vision, nausea, and lower back pain.

I have whiplash along with a headache, back pain, and tenderness along the back of neck.

Comment from: Grandma of 9, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I was rear-ended while at a traffic light. Within a hour I had spasms and neck pain. The next day I woke up with tingling and numbness in my fingers and toes. After a month of trying to find a doctor to help me; I finally found a physical therapist who told me that all my neck bones had tipped backwards and had stayed that way. He put the bones back in place, but he thinks it is strange that I have numbness in my fingers and toes. He doesn't know what to do about that.

Comment from: Rockette, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

This is another comment from Rockette. It has been over 2 years since the whiplash accident. I have also taken diazepam for torticollis. The neuro wants to do botox and the neuro opthmologist wants to botox the facial nerve. All this from whiplash. I also sustained inury to the r face with a hairline fracture of the orbital rim extending to the maxilary bone with air fluid level and buckling of the sinus. What a mess. Wish I could feel the way I did prior to the accident. Gabapentin makes me feel high and I cannor concentrate. Why does my neck feel worse rather than better? I feel as though the scm muscle has atrophied but again, the Dr's won't listen to me.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: February 22

I have numbness in the back of head, neck pain content with pain from the neck to the tips of my fingers and also lower back pain that goes in my hips and makes it hard to walk most time. I also have a hard time breathing most times as well.

Medically reviewed by Aimee V. HachigianGould, MD; American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery

KnowYourBack.org. Whiplash and Whiplash Associated Disorder (WAS).

Hoffman JR, Wolfson AB, Todd K, Mower WR. Selective cervical spine radiography in blunt trauma: methodology of the National Emergency X-Radiography Utilization Study (NEXUS). Ann Emerg Med. 1998 Oct;32(4):461-9. PubMed PMID: 9774931.