Why Are Diuretics Used in Heart Failure?: Diuretics (water pills) help the kidneys get rid of excess water and salt in the body, which makes it easier for the heart to pump. The definition of heart failure means the heart is not pumping as it should to circulate oxygen-rich blood throughout the body. Diuretics are frequently used to treat swelling and water buildup caused by heart failure.
Must Read Articles:
Congestive Heart FailureCongestive heart failure, or CHF, is a condition in which a person's heart is failing and it can't pump enough blood and oxygen to the body's tissues. Sometimes people with CHF don't know they have it. Early signs and symptoms symptoms are cough, shortness of breath, and having problems breathing; especially when lying down. And, if you have breathing problems like asthma, COPD, or emphysema and you think your condition is worsening. There are four stages of CHF. There's no cure for CHF, but treatments include drug therapy, diet, and lifestyle changes to relive symptoms and slow the progression of the disease. Life expectancy depends on existing medical problems, age, and overall health.
Heart Failure SymptomsHeart failure is an inability of the heart to pump blood adequately. Early symptoms and signs of heart failure include shortness of breath, peripheral edema, exercise intolerance, weight gain, increased urination, fatigue, pleural effusion, and paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea.
Heart Failure: Early Signs and Symptoms Heart failure is an inability of the heart to pump blood adequately. Early symptoms and signs of heart failure include shortness of breath, peripheral edema, exercise intolerance, weight gain, increased urination, fatigue, pleural effusion, and paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea.
Expert Views and News
- Fitness a BMI Connection to Heart Failure
- Over 100 Drugs Pose Risk to Heart Failure Patients
- FDA Approves New Drug to Treat Heart Failure
- Insomnia Linked to Future Heart Failure
- Exercise May Fight Depression in Heart Failure
- Coffee in Moderation May Lower Heart Failure Risk
- Male Hormone May Help Heart Failure Patients
- Vitamin E Fails to Prevent Heart Failure
- Heart Failure Death Risk Lower for Women
- New Heart Failure Risks: Fractures and Memory Problems
- Foods With Vitamin C May Help Heart Failure Patients
- Electronic Nose Sniffs Out Heart Failure
- Underused Treatments Could Save Lives From Heart Failure
- Baked or Broiled Fish May Cut Heart Failure Risk
- Elizabeth Taylor Dies of Heart Failure
- Wireless Sensor Monitors Heart Failure Patients
- Low Vitamin D Linked to Heart Failure Deaths
- Chocolate May Cut Heart Failure Risk
- Alzheimer's, Heart Failure Share Link
- Heart Failure Different in Women
- Healthy Lifestyle Halves Heart Failure Risk
- Heart Failure: 4 Factors That Increase the Odds
- Fatty Fish May Lower Heart Failure Risk
- Heart Failure: Belly Fat Bad, Exercise Good
Why Are Diuretics Used in Heart Failure? Topic Guide - Medications and Vitamins
Hydrochlorothiazide is a thiazide diuretic (water pill) that helps prevent your body from absorbing too much salt, which can cause fluid retention...learn more »