Doctor's Notes on Clupeotoxin Poisoning
Clupeotoxin poisoning is a potentially fatal poisoning that occurs after eating fish contaminated with the toxin. The poison does not break down when the fish is cooked and 50% of people poisoned by clupeotoxin will die after ingesting it. Clupeotoxin is found in plankton-eating fish, such as anchovies, herring, sardines, bonefish, slickheads, and tarpons. These types of fish are most found in African, Caribbean, and Indo-Pacific coastal waters and is more commonly found in fish caught in the summer.
Symptoms of clupeotoxin poisoning begin 30-60 minutes after eating contaminated fish and may include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, dry mouth, a metallic taste in the mouth, headache, sweats, chills, dizziness, elevated heart and respiratory rate, blue tinge to lips/fingers/nose/toes, lightheadedness, and a drop in blood pressure.
Pancreatitis : Test Your Medical IQ QuizQuestion
Pancreatitis is inflammation of an organ in the abdomen called the pancreas.See Answer
Kasper, D.L., et al., eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Education, 2015.