Neck and Back Injuries

What symptoms did you experience from your neck or back injury? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Name, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

The symptom I feel with my neck and lower back injury are major spasm in my back that causes tightness and stiffness, numbness, and a paralyzing effect when I lay down on my back. I call it 'Frankenstein'. I cannot turn either way, unless I grab a sidebar with my already crippled hands that is being affected by my spinal injury. Plus no more feeling comfort and sleep less until the lower back pain starts. I feel my body is slowly going to paralyze me. I am in constant pain. I no longer stand on my own, no balance, right leg is heavy, sometimes it is hard to move, at times easy to move, skin has no moisture, dry, and I am incontinent.

Comment from: su, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

Over 20 years ago, I had a massive sneeze and broke my neck. The instant pain was transferred into my arm, I rushed to the hospital and they suspected a heart attack (it wasn't). Five months later I went to the doctor for leg problems and he noticed a lump in my neck. X-ray taken found the break in my 5th vertebra. It had mended itself but was out of line, I have massive pain all the time now. I now have cervical spondylosis plus rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and fibromyalgia. I can't tolerate RA drugs, and the pain and headache never go. It has left me a damaged and broken person.

Medically reviewed by Aimee V. HachigianGould, MD; American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery

REFERENCE:

"Evaluation and acute management of cervical spinal column injuries in adults"
UpToDate.com