Font Size
A
A
A

Wilderness: Shellfish Poisoning, Gastrointestinal (cont.)

Shellfish Poisoning Treatment

Patient Comments

There is no specific treatment for shellfish poisoning. However, some health care professionals may induce vomiting or use a stomach pump to remove food if the patient is seen within three hours of ingesting the shellfish. These actions may reduce the amount of poison that is absorbed through the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, patients are often given IV fluids as they may become dehydrated from vomiting. The use of oral charcoal may be used in some patients that are seen early after ingestion of large amounts of food likely containing large amounts of shellfish poison. Some health care professionals advise the stomach should be pumped to remove foods before charcoal is administered.

Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 9/30/2016

Must Read Articles Related to Wilderness: Shellfish Poisoning, Gastrointestinal

Activated Charcoal
Activated Charcoal Activated charcoal is a substance used when a person has ingested a poison (drugs or chemicals). learn more >>
Poisoning
Poisoning Poisoning can have serious signs or symptoms including
learn more >>
Scombroid Poisoning (Fish Poisoning)
Wilderness: Scombroid Poisoning Scombroid poisoning is poisoning due to the in...learn more >>

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shellfish Poisoning:

Shellfish Poisoning - Patient Experience

Have you ever experienced shellfish poisoning? Please describe your experience.

Shellfish Poisoning - Treatment

What it like having your stomach pumped for shellfish poisoning?

Shellfish Poisoning - Prevention

What do you do to avoid shellfish poisoning?


Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Toxicity, Shellfish »

Infectious agents cause most shellfish-associated illness.

Read More on Medscape Reference »


Medical Dictionary