Doctor's Notes on Shellfish Poisoning
Shellfish poisoning is toxic poisoning that occurs when shellfish (mainly oysters, clams, scallops or mussels) are eaten by humans. Most shellfish come from saltwater habitats, but some species inhabit freshwater, and both can cause shellfish poisoning. Shellfish poisonings are categorized into four groups based on the specific toxins or chemicals that poison humans: amnesic shellfish poisoning (ASP), diarrheal shellfish poisoning (DSP), neurotoxic shellfish poisoning (NSP), and paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP).
Symptoms of amnesic shellfish poisoning include permanent short-term memory loss, brain damage, and death. Symptoms of diarrheal shellfish poisoning include
Symptoms of neurotoxic shellfish poisoning include
- slurred speech,
- nausea, and
Symptoms of paralytic shellfish poisoning include
- numbness and tingling sensations,
- coordination loss,
- speech defects,
- vomiting, and
What Is the Treatment for Shellfish Poisoning?
Shellfish poisoning can cause symptoms that range from mild to severe and even deadly. If you think you may have a type of shellfish poisoning seek medical care. If symptoms are mild, call your health care provider or go to an urgent care facility. If symptoms are severe, call 911 or have someone take you to the emergency room immediately.
Treatment for mild to moderate cases of shellfish poisoning involves supportive care to treat the symptoms. Supportive care for mild to moderate shellfish poisoning may include:
- Intravenous (IV) fluids
- Anti-diarrheal medications
- Electrolyte replacements either IV or by mouth
- Antiemetics to stop vomiting and nausea
- Antiseizure medications if necessary
In severe cases of shellfish poisoning, in addition to the supportive care listed above, the use of life support systems such as a mechanical ventilator and oxygen and close cardiac monitoring until the toxin passes from the victim's system may be necessary.
Pancreatitis : Test Your Medical IQ QuizQuestion
Pancreatitis is inflammation of an organ in the abdomen called the pancreas.See Answer
Must Read Articles:
Activated CharcoalActivated charcoal is a substance used when a person has ingested a poison (drugs or chemicals). Activated charcoal absorbs the poisons in the GI tract. Activated charcoal is administered by a physician and is not recommended for home use. In the United States, the National Poison Control Center hot line is 1-800-222-1222. If someone has ingested poisonous levels of chemicals or drugs, contact the emergency medical response system in your area or take the patient to the nearest emergency department.
Diarrhea: Is It Food Poisoning or Infection?Food poisoning is a general term that refers to gastrointestinal illnesses (usually diarrhea and/or vomiting) caused by food that is contaminated with bacteria, parasites, viruses, or toxic substances.
Food PoisoningFood poisoning is caused by viruses, bacteria, toxins, parasites, or chemicals that have contaminated food or drinking water. Symptoms of food poisoning include diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, fever, abdominal cramping, dehydration, rectal bleeding, and bloating. Food poisoning usually can be cared for at home. In some instances (severe dehydration) a person may be hospitalized for treatment.
PoisoningPoisoning can have serious signs or symptoms including nausea, vomiting, trouble breathing, seizure, confusion, or pain. The National Poisong Control Center phone number in the U.S. 1-800-222-1222. Causes of poisoning include medications, chemicals, lead, and more. Treatment depends upon the type of poisoning.
Scombroid Poisoning (Fish Poisoning) Symptoms, Types, Diagnosis, and CureScombroid poisoning is poisoning due to the ingestion of contaminated fish. Bacteria have grown during the improper storage of the dark meat of the fish and these bacteria produce scombroid toxin. Scombroid poisoning symptoms include nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, headache, itching, hives, palpitations, and fever. Treatment of scombroid poisoning depend on the patient's symptoms, amount of contaminated fish ingested, and time of ingestion.
What Causes Scombroid Fish Poisoning?Scombroid fish poisoning (histamine fish poisoning) is a type of allergic reaction that happens from eating fish contaminated with high levels of histamine. This can happen when certain kinds of fish are not properly refrigerated, which increases the bacteria in the fish and produces high amounts of histamine. These histamines are heat-resistant, so you can still get sick from properly canned or cooked fish.
Kasper, D.L., et al., eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Education, 2015.