What is tooth squeeze?
- Tooth squeeze occurs during a scuba diving ascent when air is trapped in a dental filling or cavity.
- As a diver goes deeper under water, air can enter a cavity or dental filling area.
- As the diver begins to surface that air (or gas) expands and is "trapped" resulting in pain to that area.
- Pain can occur on descent due to a "vacuum" effect however it is not common.
- Tooth squeeze is more likely to occur in divers with tooth decay, dental infections, or recent tooth extraction or fillings.
Tooth Squeeze Symptoms
Symptoms of tooth squeeze include: