Wrist Injury (Wrist Fracture)

What caused your wrist injury? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: joan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I had a bad fall 2 weeks ago and got hurt bad. I’m old and been aching all over since. My left wrist is hurting bad, and I could not get to a doctor because of the virus. My face was badly bruised, blood clots came out of my nose. The bleeding has stopped now but wrist and left arm are hurting bad. I can't take the pain so I am going to have to see a doctor and take a chance that I don't catch virus. I take blood thinners so I have to watch what I take. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comment from: Dsgirl, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 29

A motorcycle accident dislocated my wrist and every bone in my hand.

Comment from: Askabby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

A couple days ago I missed a step and fell on my left wrist and side. I was a little scraped up but the wrist took the brunt of it. Right now it's still kind of swollen. I can move my fingers and my thumb, and I can move my wrist a little bit back and forth.

Comment from: Gail, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

It had been raining hard then it stopped. I started down my stairs, and as I stepped down on the second step my right foot slipped. I twisted my right knee, put my right palm down and my palm bent my wrist back, but I didn't fall down the steps, I ended slamming down on the step. I thought I was ok but now I have such pain in my wrist and sharp throbbing pain in my elbow. It is so bad now my upper arm is starting to have sharp pain in it. I am worried about what I did to my right arm.

Comment from: Sbodkin87 , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

Two weeks ago, I was playing softball and caught a line drive. The force from the ball pushed the bones from my hand into my wrist. I went to the emergency room and had x-rays. I had a vertical distal radius fracture. I am in a cast for 6 to 8 weeks.

Comment from: Steph.c, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I got dragged down the street by a vehicle. I hurt my knees and my right wrist pretty bad. After 3 days I could not take it anymore and went to the emergency room. They did x-rays and said nothing showed but put me in a split. Well, it's been about 2.5 weeks now and it seems like the trouble has gotten worse and the split they put me in seems like it hurts me more to wear it. The pain is now also in my hand and lower part of the arm. I guess I'm kind of wondering if I should maybe have another x-ray done.

Comment from: Dillon RT(R), 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I was biking down when a rock jumped in front of me. (No, really, the ground is unstable.) I went down hard. My knees hurt and I wanted to take off my heavy duty corduroy pants, so I started to take off my gloves but my hands wouldn't work. When we got them off I started crying. I had injured both my scaphoids. When we got to the emergency room about 2 hours later (we were at 8000 ft.) while they were shooting the x-rays I talked shop with the technologist and learned that this was rather common. It was actually very severe bilateral sprain. Fast forward ten years. I'd had chronic pain off and on but my right wrist started to hurt really, really bad and my range of motion (ROM) went to almost zero. A steroid shot gave very short term relief. Wrist specialist diagnosed it as SLAC, scapholunate advanced collapse, and recommended a procedure called a proximal row carpectomy which I did. I'm now six weeks post operation with only some Tylenol level pain and improving ROM.

Comment from: Angeline, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I fell just before approaching my car. My wrist looks dislocated. Fingers are cold, I have difficulty with wrist rotation, internal and external, and general loss of function due to pain.

Comment from: Lynne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I fell on black ice on Wednesday and injured my wrist. This is the following Tuesday. I wanted to see what I should be expecting at present and if I am on schedule on healing or not. Guess it's time to see the doctor again.

Comment from: Anne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I tripped and fell 6 weeks ago grazing my left kneecap, hurting my left hand (palm side) and I have a bump on the left side of my head. Hand/fingers/neck and shoulder were x-rayed and no broken bones. Muscle spasms started in neck and shoulder (a week later) with pain when moving my neck or fingers. Physiotherapist weekly visits found muscle spasm in neck and shoulder, and I had pain on top of hand, later pain in upper arm, and now pain in outer elbow. I am wearing a wrist brace. I have burning tingling sensation inside my hand and sometimes lower arm on the inner side. Neck and shoulder pain is constant. Dull headaches are almost daily. I wonder if my entire arm from fingertip to top of shoulder should have been x-rayed. Pain in my hand/arm and neck varies from day to day.

IMAGES

See Images
Comment from: bill g., 75 or over (Patient) Published: September 15

Walking to the front door, I slipped on the tile floor (no slippers, big mistake). Stocking feet on tile is like walking on ice. I used my right hand to try and break my fall. The pain that followed was terrible. I just lay there. X-rays do not show any breaks, but it is a week now and I still have a lot of pain in my wrist. Be careful with splints. The first one they used was too tight, stopping blood flow and causing swelling. The one I got later made by Med Spec is perfect.

Comment from: jean harllow, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I am an 85 year old female who was enjoying excellent health (both mentally and physically) until I broke my wrist six weeks ago. I do not have any signs of osteoporosis. Because of my age, a closed reduction was done and I was in a cast for four weeks. After the cast was removed I was aghast at what I saw! I now have a deformed wrist, which is causing me to feel depressed.

Comment from: Jacob07, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 18

My seven-year-old grandson broke both his ulna and radius while trying to imitate a spider-like climb between the two walls of a hallway at his home. He is an avid fan of the TV show “American Ninja Warrior.” He had surgery, but, thankfully, did not require pins or screws to set the breaks. He is, though, in a cast from hand to shoulder.

Comment from: yvon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I fell on an uneven spot next to the steps while leaving the swimming pool area. My wrist was broken, and I knew it immediately because my hand was so deformed from the fall. I had surgery the next morning. My radius was broken, and I had a plate and screws put in.

Comment from: pattiekat, 45-54 (Patient) Published: June 26

I fell out of a tree about 13 ft. I think i landed on my back, but i was taken by ambulance to hospital. I broke my wrist, one vertebra (L4), 6 ribs, and apparently my lung was collapsed.

Comment from: Raj32, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I hurt my wrist doing burpees in preparation for a Spartan Race in April. I re-injured it playing volleyball this weekend.

Comment from: 007, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I accidentally shut my hand and wrist in a car door.

Comment from: Lyh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was bucked off a horse and landed on the little finger side of my right wrist (and a lot of other places). I broke my hook of hamate. I had bruising that appeared as red and purple discoloration at the fold of my wrist on the palm side and what looked like a miniature black handprint running up my metacarpals. I felt persistent pain on the bottom outside corner of my hand (wrist) near the ulna.

Comment from: theunluckyone, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I’m a goalie for my soccer team. I was bending down to pick the ball up and one of the other team’s girls kicked the ball into my hand very hard. I can’t rotate my hand or type with it. If I put pressure, even a little, it pops and it hurts really badly.

Comment from: Cheryl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I rolled my ankle while walking and fell forward on to my wrist with my wrist bent down. I can't flex my wrist on either side.

Comment from: jadibru, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I was raising myself off the floor and felt a sharp pain in my right wrist. It hurt a while and went away. This happened on a couple other occasions in the same way. Now it has been hurting worse for a few days. I can't bend my thumb in an upward position without terrible pain. I could raise it a few days ago but could watch and feel the popping in my wrist. Now my arm is cramping and there is puffiness on the side of my thumb and the wrist where the pain is and even my skin is sore to touch. I'm about to give in and see my doctor. I'm tired of the pain.

QUESTION

The carpal tunnel is found in the _____________. See Answer
Comment from: Katpowell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I picked up a piece of luggage with my right hand threw it over my right shoulder. This happened over a month ago and I have pain in my wrist which also shoots up my forearm.

Comment from: Sallijay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I tripped over outside and used both hands to try to break the fall. My wrist is now very swollen on the top and it is painful to grip things. I cannot even do/undo my belt. I am wearing the support I was given when fell a couple of years ago. If I’m no better in the morning, I will have an X-ray.

Comment from: Billie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

2.5 years ago, I fell on ice and my immediate injury was a torn rotator cuff. Months of physiotherapy felt good at the time, but had no long lasting effects. Not being able to use the shoulder properly, I transferred tasks to my wrist and now, the latest x-rays show many eroded bones. I am in constant pain from the wrist and wear a brace at all times. My doctor wants to send me to a specialist. However, he has an 18 month waiting period. I need help now.

Comment from: Jim Wind, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

A normally placid horse spun round and tried to kick me. I managed to push myself away enough to avoid broken legs, but I damaged right wrist doing so.

Comment from: TINA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

My wrists were injured in a car accident.

Comment from: lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I hurt my wrist when I was bitten by my macaw.

I hurt my wrist during soccer season when I was playing soccer. I fell on my wrist and it popped when I landed on it. Now if I use my hand for an extended period of time my hand starts tingling and I can't grip my pencil. I'm not really sure what I did to it.

Comment from: jcrnc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am a labor and delivery nurse and my wrist was injured during a delivery. A patient kicked my hand during a delivery :(

Comment from: litlerny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I injured my right wrist two weeks ago playing golf.

Comment from: anabanana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I’m a cashier. A 29 oz can of food fell on my wrist, a crush injury to my superficial radial nerve and the tendons. I feel heat, numbness, tingling, sudden stabbing pain and sensitivity to the touch. It’s been a year and I still have pain. Recently had an MRI and showed that I have a 0.3mm ganglion cyst. I have always felt as if the blood flow is slowed down at the impacted area. My hand still swells but not as much as before. Physical therapy and cortisone shots made it worst. I have a feeling it might also be a small aneurysm the cause of pain.

Comment from: Ycouragepeace, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

My wrist pain started about one month ago while I was doing push-ups. I am not sure if I moved my wrist in the wrong direction, but it hurts only in the position of a push up.

Comment from: m22forest, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 22

I had my wrist injury two weeks ago July 1, 2011 when we are turning our 350lb patient, I pulled out to another position using my right hand as the source of strength, because I already have a back problem, as soon as I pull it, I felt a strong pain in my wrist.

Comment from: Jenny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I injured my wrist in yoga class. I was trying too hard to keep up with other people when I know I’m nowhere near as strong as them.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

A fall while skating (hard landing on my hand) caused me to injure my wrist.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: March 11

I hurt my wrist playing football about two weeks ago.

Comment from: tigger, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I was in a car accident where I injured my wrist. I was put in Velcro splint but after 3 weeks still causing major pain when I try to use it to pick up or move any objects -- even to hold a fork in my hand. I’m not sure if it’s the wrist or hand that bothers me more -- I am being referred to physical therapy for 4 weeks. I sure hope it helps!

Comment from: alexandra, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 23

My 18 year old daughter plays softball and she hits 5 days a week. Her wrist started bothering her, so we took her to the doctor, who looked at her wrist, and asked her to get an X-ray. After the X-ray results, the doctor said there was nothing wrong with it but to put it in a wrist brace for two weeks. Two weeks have gone by and the pain is the same.

Comment from: Sanju, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 19

I had a bike accident. My right hand was fully scratched. The moment of the accident and after the accident I felt pain less. That night I had a bad pain and could not sleep the whole night. I think now I have fractured my wrist.

Comment from: Hurting in Heber, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I'm not sure how I injured my wrist but it has been very soar for the last month or so. I can touch a specific point on the inside of my left wrist and it hurts like crazy. Also sometimes when I move my thumb and next two fingers it increases my pain. I think I will go get a cortisone shot Monday. I'm a little scared after the other entry which said cortisone made it worse. Wish me luck!

Comment from: batboy, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My son was playing basketball; used his hand to support a fall and now is having problems in his wrist area. He has seen a doctor; x-ray showed no injury; only a slight sprain. He is able to grasp items but since he also plays baseball he has noticed that throwing a baseball and when batting there is some pain.

Comment from: Mary, 35-44 Female Published: July 11

Martial Arts Class. A twisting type wrist lock applied to hard.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW